Surgical Dentistry in Cary, NC
What is Surgical Dentistry
Surgical dentistry is a branch of dentistry that practices surgical treatment methods to preserve teeth and maintain oral health.
Surgical dentistry procedures include a variety of services in order to maintain your oral health.
- Tooth extraction
- Bone grafting
- Dental Implants
Overview of Tooth Extractions and Dental Implants
Removal and replacement of decayed and damaged teeth is not the only reason you may need a surgical dentist.
- Surgical tooth removal: If teeth are heavily broken down due to decay or badly fractured and cannot be restored, the tooth may have to be removed very carefully.
- Gum disease: If there is significant gum disease, often it will weaken the bone that supports your tooth or teeth. In this case, you may require extraction(s), as well as implants and bone grafting to replace the weakened bone.
- Trauma: If you suffer any trauma to your mouth, you may need surgical dentistry to repair the damage. This might include extracting teeth that are too damaged to be fixed, or placing dental implants to replace teeth that were knocked out, or had to be removed.
- Crowding in the mouth: Oftentimes tooth extractions are needed prior to orthodontic treatment when your teeth are too crowded. Removing a tooth or teeth allows the orthodontic treatments to straighten your teeth effectively and provide you with the best result.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are permanent tooth replacements for missing and damaged teeth. They eliminate the need for dentures or bridges that often need to be replaced.
- Bone Grafting: For an implant to be placed there needs to be adequate bone in the jaw to support it. After a tooth has been missing for a while, the remaining jaw bone deteriorates and is absorbed back into the body as calcium. To place an implant in this circumstance, bone grafting using platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is necessary to hold the dental implant in place.
Surgical Dentistry Benefits
There are many benefits associated with surgical dentistry beyond removal of diseased and painful teeth.
- Avoid permanent damage: Left untreated, teeth crowding, decaying teeth, and gum disease, can cause permanent damage, which can lead to more extensive and expensive dental work.
- Prevent tooth loss: Addressing tooth decay or damage quickly and appropriately, can prevent loss of your natural teeth.
- Restore your smile: Surgical dentistry is often used in conjunction with other specialties, including orthodontics, in order to provide you with a smile that you love and feel confident about. It can also fix gaps and unsightly teeth and brighten your smile.
Cost of Surgical Dentistry
The cost for surgical dentistry will vary based on what procedures you need to undergo. Our office will provide you with treatment options tailored to your individual needs. If you have dental insurance, we will discuss how much your insurance plan will cover, and file accordingly. Without insurance, we will discuss payment plans if necessary.
In Need of A Surgical Dentist?
Visiting the dentist is sometimes stressful, especially when finding out you need surgery. If you are in need of a surgical dentist, Dr. Leedy and his team will work to make you as comfortable as possible, and provide efficient and individualized treatments. Contact Nathaniel Leedy, DMD today for a consultation in order to preserve your beautiful smile.
How to Find Us
Our office is located seconds away from the Whole Foods Market in New Waverly Place!
Monday: 7 AM – 3 PM
Tuesday: 7 AM – 3 PM
Wednesday: 7 AM – 3 PM
Thursday: 7 AM – 3 PM
Select Fridays: 7 AM – 1 PM